Where do you get your hair done?
I have had the same hair dresser for over 10 years in Cary!! She is so awesome and knows my hair so well now. She is the only person I trust to cut and color my hair! If you are local and want her info, just leave me a message on Instagram.
How often do you get your hair colored/cut?
This varies depending on my schedule. Usually, I go every 6-7 weeks, but sometimes I’ll only go 5 weeks. (It just depends on how long you’re happy going without freshening up! We definitely do not do my full head of hair every time—Just a partial every other time. I also get my hair trimmed every time I get it done! It is so much more manageable that way. (I am OCD about split ends.)
Do you wear extensions, and have you ever?
Nope! I get this question all the time. I have never gotten hair extensions put in. I have looked into youtube videos of other girls who have, and it just doesn’t seem like something that I’d like, plus it does cause a bit of breakage. My hair is also pretty thick and time consuming to style at times as it is.
Is your hair naturally blonde? How do you achieve the hair color/tone that you have?
My hair is naturally darker blonde! It continues to get a bit darker as I get older. It was much lighter when I was younger. Ashley highlights and lowlights my whole head. We try to keep it as natural-looking as possible. The lowlight she mixes up for me is usually a super cool tone mixed with another lowlight that has some warmth in it. It’ll be different with each person depending on the natural tone and darkness/lightness of your natural hair! Ever other time, Ashley puts a slight toner on my hair mixed with a glaze (makes my hair more ash, plus nourishes it and gives it added shine). Other times, she will put a hair glaze on without toner in it. I also use this purple shampoo about once a week to maintain my tone in between appointments.
How often do you wash your hair?
Every 3-4 days. My hair is pretty thick and has more of a coarse/dry texture. However, you can train your hair to go longer in between washes even if you have fine hair!
What tool do you use to curl your hair?
I have used this basic curling iron all through college, and I still use it. I took the clamp off with a screw driver several years ago, and voila! DIY hair wand.
Do you take hair vitamins?
I don’t! I have been looking into taking Nutrafol hair vitamins that Dani Austin and Olivia Rink have written about recently. However, they are pretty pricey and I’m not sure if they are worth it!
Products that help grow your hair longer and prevent breakage??
I swear by this product by Redken. I have used this product longer than any other hair product I own. There is no telling how many I have purchased over and over. So great to improve the strength of your hair! A more recent item that I love is this hair brush. It is so gentle, and gets out allll of my tangles wet or dry. I also love to use this while blow drying my hair!
Extra Hair Tips:
- If you wash your hair every day, try to start going longer without washing it. Washing and styling more than you need to just increases the amount of mechanical and heat damage done to your hair. I used to hate doing this with working out/sweating ect. Something that really helps me is blow drying my hair on a cool setting after working out and spraying dry shampoo. Also, figure out hairstyles that work well with your second/third/fourth day hair. I really love watching this girl’s youtube channel for tips: Twist Me Pretty // Abby Smith
- Let your hair air dry as much as possible. I usually wash my hair at night so I can sit and let it air dry to about 90% before a blow dry it.
- Find a hair style you like that doesn’t require any heat, so you can give your hair a break sometimes.
- Try to lessen the amount of hair spray you use—it builds up on your hair over time and causes breakage. Instead, I use this texture spray on my curls.
- Be SUPER gentle with your hair when it’s wet. This is when it is most fragile. Blot your hair with a towel instead of rubbing, and use a gentle hair brush.
- Sleep on a silk pillow case!!! I cannot recommend this enough. I love mine so so much. It is gentle on your hair and skin, as some fabrics can “rough up” your hair.
If there are any questions I didn’t answer, feel free to leave me a comment below or on my Instagram! Happy Sunday, y’all. 🙂